When and why did you adopt content marketing as part of your overall marketing strategy?
Bob: At SharpLaunch we are big proponents of content marketing and it is one of the key foundations of our digital marketing strategy. We started with our content marketing strategy soon after the company was launched because it has implications across many different channels and big drivers for SEO, social media and PR/outreach.
How do you use content marketing to build your brand?
Bob: We have built a strong (and growing) readership around our content, primarily by focusing on creating on long-from educational marketing blog posts. Our aim is to help professionals learn more about CRE marketing topics with useful guides, tactical tips and how-to’s. Our blog drives massive awareness for SharpLaunch and helps position our brand as one of the key CRE marketing authorities simply by maintaining this focus.
How do you get your content out to your target audience?
Bob: Most of our content is promoted through the typical channels (newsletters, social media, etc.) but we also have a long-term focus on SEO. The key to a successful content marketing strategy is to have a comprehensive distribution plan for every single post and this is where most companies fail. We have a simple rule: if we spend 1X on producing the content, we spend 2X promoting it
How has content marketing helped to achieve your marketing objectives?
Bob: We look to content marketing for three important objectives, here is the simple break down:
- Overall awareness: the number of eyeballs and visitors we generate from our content
- Engagement: what posts perform well, what do our visitors do, and how long do they stay
- Leads: we consider leads to be newsletter subscribers or anyone that inquires about our product
Where do you find inspiration for new content?
Bob: Most of the time we simply write about topics we have deep knowledge about and know our clients would find useful or informative. But there are also so many great sources and tools out there. We like Keyword.io, Ahrefs, Google trends, and what people are writing in other industry blogs.
What advice would you give to a new blogger?
Bob: Here’s the most important advice I could offer:
- Do something unique. Starting a new blog today is a massive challenge if you want to get above all the noise (+2M blog posts written every day!!), so find your own angle and do not follow what everyone else is doing.
- Don’t give up. Content marketing pays off in the long term, consistency and quality will pay off big if you stick to it.